- 3-5 lbs beef, pork, and or chicken bones/necks/backs
- 1 lb chicken feet (optional but recommended for extra gelatin)
- 3 whole carrots (or other desired produce optional)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh herbs (optional)
- 8-10 C water
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- Wash and roughly chop vegetables to prepare for soup.
Add bones and chicken feet to Instant Pot or Crock Pot, followed by vegetables and apple cider vinegar. [Optional] Add stew meat for a really tender final meat product.
- Fill with water until it reaches about 1 inch below the max fill line.
- Cover and turn the vent valve to closed and set it to high pressure for 2 hours. If you're using a crock pot, set to low and simmer for 24-48 hours.
Once the cycle is finished, allow the instant pot to naturally release its pressure.
- Once the broth is finished, remove all bones and large vegetable pieces, and then strain the broth through a strainer.
- Serve immediately for soup, allow it to cool in the fridge, or pour into jars to freeze for future use.
You will know if the broth is high in collagen if it gets "wiggly" after cooling in the fridge for a day. The fat will separate to the top, which you can remove and use for cooking, or mix into the broth when re-heated.
Leave a comment