A balanced, healthy meal! Liver is considered "nature's vitamin," it's jam packed with vitamins and minerals. This recipe is a great way to mask and sneak in some liver to your lifestyle. Most Chinese take out fried rice is fried in vegetable oil (not good for you!). Here we crisp up, and flavor the rice with butter that contains incredible soluble vitamins. We add in coconut aminos for some more flavor, which is a great alternative to soy sauce.
Thank you to Dr. Ash Armstrong from the @strong.sistas for this recipe!
- 1-2 12oz packages of kielbasa or bratwurst (cut into bite-sized pieces), or 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 3 whole carrots
- 1 small head of broccoli or cauliflower
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2-4 T olive oil or grass-fed ghee
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- If using kielbasa or bratwurst, use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut the links into bite-sized pieces. If using ground sausage, roll into bite-sized balls. Place meat on a sheet pan (prepared with parchment paper if desired).
- Rinse and peel carrots. Rinse broccoli or cauliflower. Rinse (and peel if desired) sweet potatoes. Chop all vegetables into bite-sized pieces, then place them on a sheet pan.
- Drizzel 1 T olive oil over top of everything on the sheet pan and gently toss to cover everything evenly. Repeat with the following T of olive oil if it looks like it's not greased with an even layer of oil.
- Once oven is preheated, place the pan on the middle rack and bake for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins, pull the pan out of the oven. Using a spatula, gently mix items in the pan.
- Return the pan to the oven and set timer for 15 mins. Check the pan again. Prick vegetables with a fork; if they are firm, put them back in the oven for another 5 mins until they reach desired texture. Meat should have a nice char-boiled look. Internal temperature of sausage should reach at least 145ºF.
- Beets, peppers, mushrooms, and onions could be used. More than one sheet pan may be needed.
- Keep sausage separate from the vegetables and bake for a longer duration if a more grill-charred sausage is desired.