Chuck roasts are incredibly tender and juicy when cooked low and slow. Cooking roasts in the crockpot are an easy way to ensure a delicious and nutritious meal. This stew can be made with about any combination of vegetables you have on hand and prefer. This can be pre-made the night before, or the morning of. Before heading to work simply turn the switch to "low" and savory one-dish meal will be awaiting your evening return.
- 2-3 lb beef roast (Chuck, Arm, or Rump) or pork roast (Shoulder, Loin, or Butt)
- 4-6 C chopped vegetables of choice (beets, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, parsnips, etc.)
- 2-4 C water, bone broth, or stock
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1.5-2 T tallow
- 3-6 t spices (pepper, parsley, sea salt, thyme, etc.) or fresh herbs
- Salt all sides of roast. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add tallow.
- Brown the roast on all sides for 2 minutes each side.
- Wash, slice, and dice vegetables. Add the vegetables to base of the Crock pot, then put the roast on top of the veggies.
- Add liquid and herbs.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Dish out and enjoy!