This is a prep and forget it kind of dish, with juicy and delicious meat guaranteed. Easy to prepare with minimal prep work. The short ribs are cooked in the crock pot low and slow until they reach fall-off-the-bone deliciousness.
The final product is a great blend of fork-tender meat, healthy animal fats, and nutrient dense collagen.
- 2-3 lbs beef short ribs or pork spare ribs
- 2-3 C broth or stock
- Sea salt
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 t garlic powder (optional)
- 1/8 C Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Pat short ribs dry and place on a cutting board. Salt all sides of the short ribs and let sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add tallow. When hot, add short ribs and sear on all 4 sides for 1-1.5 minutes each side.
- Place short ribs in Crock Pot. Pour in the broth until the ribs are covered 80-90%.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove from the Crock Pot and check for internal temperature of 145ºF. Let rest for 5 minutes to slightly cool.
- Remove bones and then shred with a fork.
- Optional: Don't let the delicious juices go to waste and make a sauce: pour the juices from the Crock Pot into a sauce pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sauce reduces (~15 minutes).