A show-stopper recipe. This dish has amazing flavor, and is very verstile. A great meal to serve for guests! This juicy meat dish can be eaten top on of sourdough buns, inside homemade tortillas, or by itself topped with gouda cheese, cilantro, jalapenos, and the highly recommended--pickled red onions!
- 3.5 lbs pork (or beef) shoulder, loin, or butt roast
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 1/2 t chili powder
- 1 t ground cayenne pepper
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 C olive oil and/or orange juice
- Thoroughly thaw roast in refrigerator.
- Allow roast to sit at room temperature to get the chill off.
- Mix ground cumin, chili powder, ground cayenne, garlic powder, ground cloves, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Rub this herb mixture into the roast, covering all sides.
- At this point you could add the oil (and/or juice) and allow the meat to marinate for 6-8 hrs. Then proceed with the recipe or smoke it in a smoker.
- After adding the rub, put the roast in a slow cooker or crockpot.
- Add bay leaves and oil (or juice) to the meat, and cook on low for 6-7 hrs, until pork is tender and the internal temperature reaches at least 145ºF.
- Carefully remove the roast from the slow cooker and allow it to rest for around 15 mins.
- Pull pork, eat, and enjoy!