- 1 cup organic ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or coconut aminos for a gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (look for a brand without GMOs)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1.2-1.7 lbs chicken wings
- Olive oil (or avocado oil) spray
BBQ SAUCE DIRECTIONS:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the organic ketchup, apple cider vinegar, honey (or maple syrup), tamari (or coconut aminos), Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, smoked paprika, onion powder, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together and the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings according to your preference. You can add more honey for sweetness or more vinegar for tanginess.
- Once the sauce has reached your desired consistency and flavor, remove it from the heat and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, transfer the BBQ sauce to a jar or airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
CHICKEN WING DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy cleanup.
- Start by preparing the 1.2-1.7 lbs chicken wings. Remove any excess skin and trim off any visible fat.
- Pat the wings dry with a paper towel to remove moisture, as this will help them crisp up better.
- Place the wings in a large bowl and lightly season them with 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Toss them gently to ensure even coating.
- Arrange the seasoned wings on the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between each wing for even cooking.
- Using an olive oil spray or avocado oil spray, lightly mist the wings. This will help them brown and crisp up in the oven.
- Place the baking sheet with the wings into the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and golden brown. Flip the wings halfway through cooking to ensure even browning on both sides.
- Once cooked, remove the wings from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
Note: If you prefer a crispier texture, you can broil the wings for a couple of minutes at the end of cooking. Just keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
When you're ready to use the BBQ sauce on your chicken wings, simply toss the wings in the sauce and enjoy!